In Search of a Home

Welcome!! Swagat, Dumela, Valkommen, Jee Aayan Noo, Tashreef, Bula, Swasdee, Bienvenido, Tashi Delek. Thanks for joining me......


Saturday, June 28, 2014

Let Thy Light Shine: Maya Angelou!




A Note to the Readers:  Note sure how many of you are following this, but often times you will find an active link, often when a word is in a different color, which will take you to more information that is related to the post, if you are so inclined.  Thanks. 


Universities are not exempt from the class system that corrupts almost every society, and so the kind of education you get at universities varies with their status.  What students are exposed to at their respective universities depends on their status and their standing in a society.  When you get an education at a 'good' school, you may or may not get much information that can help you with career or life in general, you may feel lost in a class of 750 students, but you sure do get an 'education' with regards to 'exposure'

I think that is what PSU gave me. I had dreamt of attending the University and even though by the time I arrived there I was tired and bitter and cynical--since I had lived nearly a decade on my own and was in the middle of the most 'intensive learning periods' of my life--with regards to learning out human natures--I knew that my stay there will change me in many ways I could not imagine.  

From the first year when I got to hear Carl Sagan for free, and Billy Joel for barely twenty dollars --(if we do not count standing in the que for three hours on a freezing day) to watching some of the most famous Broadway plays as summer presentations ---my years at PSU both times were filled with rich cultural experiences.  

It was during those lectures that the likes of Jim Lovell (from Apollo 13--I think Tom Hanks played him in the movie),  LIsa Ling (the TV broadcaster), Erin Brocovitch, F. W. De Clerk (President credited with brokering the end of apartheid in South Africa), Magic Johnson (although he cancelled due to health issues, seriously, he does not need an intro), Bill Clinton (neither does he) and Dr. Maya Angelou were invited to the University.

Most of these lectures were free and often filled to the last seat.  Still, it was quite easy to get the tickets because most of these events would be housed in auditoriums that could easily house anywhere from 3-30,000 people.  But the main point behind these events was exposing students and other people associated with the University to the giants in our contemporary world.  

When I hear about Dr. Maya Angelou, I knew I had to go listen to her.  I had read both 'I rise' and "Phenomenal Woman' a hundred times. I had heard the latter in Oprah's voice, I had even hear Dr. Angelou's voice the day Clinton was sworn in.  I had to go.  It was a part of history. As much as I questioned the US, it is these giants that I looked up to.  

And so I went. I remember taking some grading with me, since I arrived there ahead of time to sit in peace.  I ran into a few other people I knew at the lecture.  As always they looked at me weird because I was alone--but like watching a movie, listening to a lecture or a classical music concert should always be done alone, we experience a lot more that way, or so I think.

But the moment she started talking I was in awe of her.  Even at a ripe age, she giggled like a child, made jokes that left us smiling for minutes after she had cracked them.  I was amazed at her spirit, she had turned the entire auditorium light with her presence.  One of her very cute joke was, 'my right knee had been bothering me for a while, but lately my left knee has become sympathetic to the right one, and started behaving exactly she her'.

I loved how she took a serious challenge that comes with age and reduces mobility in light…and I was sure that her approach made her stand taller and walk farther than she normally would.

But the best lesson she gave me that day, that I need to remind myself of now more than ever was, 'that we all come with our own light and that it is our duty, our obligation, our purpose to let that light shine.'

That when we do not, we not only do ourselves a disservice but also deprive the world of what we can offer and put a block in its evolution.

At the end of that lecture, a young Journalism student had asked me to comment on the talk. I did, and when she asked me my name, I coyly said, 'Susan B. Anthony'.

I mean seriously, I could do anything, I had to let my light shine.

But when I saw the young girl almost jot the name down, I held her hand and gave her my real name.

But it was Dr. Angelou's infectious spirit that made me feel light inside, and dare to think that I could compare myself to women who had made a difference.

When exactly a month ago, the media was talking non stop about her, I was reminded of that story.  So grateful that I attended that lecture, and with every news story I wanted to scream, 'i heard her talk, I heard her talk'.

That is what I mean by 'an education' beyond just a degree. These lectures serve as a nudge for reviewing our own lives, often as a possibility to see our lives be much bigger than they can be, and to realize how much more we are capable of contributing, only if we see ourselves as a strand in the web, rather than a lone traveller through this planet. 

While, I had let the lesson (shine thine light) slip by, may be it is time to ponder about points that the late poet had emphasized.

May be it is time to 'rise again', it is time be 'as phenomenal' as we can be, and 'sing' our song.

Thanks Dr. Maya Angelou, we know it is your light that shone so bright --that made the universe feel that its reach ought to be expanded, and you were called to be at better places to share the delightful company of so many greats who have gone before you.

You will be missed, but we will always know you by your light. 

2 comments:

  1. Mentors are few and far between. The real mentors - leave in our hearts a space for us to move and see the world in a different way and they leave a space in our heads where we can start to reshape ourselves, so we can begin to become humble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat, I think you meant this for the post that follows this--Mentors and Madmen..And you are so right about mentors. They do shape us and make us believe in ourselves. in a way connect us to our souls.

    ReplyDelete